Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A day off

Today I decided to not go surfing... and im kind of going crazy. Im getting better every day- but the swell is really low in San Juan Del Sur these days and everyone is waiting for the waves to get better. Bianca decided to get her SCUBA certification over the next few days so I guess we will be here for a while. Its insane how cheap the food is in Nicaragua. There is this little mercado with 4 or 5 fruit and vegetable stands, 4 sodas and 4 tiendas that sell flip flops, dresses and other random clothes. For 40 cordobas (which is 2 dollars) I got a WHOLE fish, rice, beans, salad and tortilla. Its weird eating a whole fish- but it tastes so amazing that I dont REALLY feel too bad. THey also have this amazing fruit- Pithaya - and its kind of like a strawberry/kiwi mix- its FUSCHIA and tastes amazing. Bianca and I eat them all the time- and theres an added bonus because they make your lips bright fuschia.

San Juan Del Sur is an interesting place- there are a ton of places to surf- but no where that you can walk to. YOu always have to catch a ride- but there are a ton of ways to get there- every hostel and surf shop runs a shuttle to the beach at least once per day for a bout five bucks. Bianca and I are staying at rinconcita mexicana for $5 per night- which is nice.

Max took off on his boat today for a "guys" surf trip with 2 other guys, and of course his trusty Mexican perrito - Maestra. Maestra went missing for a few days and I was super nervous that we werent going to see her again- but Max saw here when he was sailing a few kilometers down the beach. I bet ill see max again in costa rica- but who knows where any of us will be at any given time.

Ive been getting free surf tips from a lot of really nice guys on the water- including a guy named Jose who is the number one longboarder in Nicaragua. He literally catches 90 percent of the waves in the water and ive had so much fun chilling with him this week. Bianca and I have spent almost every day at Playa Madera- which is a really great surf spot. It has a restaurant with a hostel on top-and theres one tent where this couple makes AMAZING fish tacos. Its probably the best taco ive ever had in my entire life.

The guys that run the hostel and restaurant are constantly harassing Bianca and myself- but not in a malicious way. We make them watch our stuff for us while we are surfing- and they always demand besos in exchange, but they never get any!!!

Im trying to figure out what my next move is - I need to find an apartment in order to save some money- and I really want to get back to Santa Teresa- eventually. In a few days Bianca and i are hoping to head towards Tamarindo, but theres supposed to be a big party in Managua this weekend- so we might stay a little longer than expected.

I cant wait for tomorrow to get back on my board for another day in the water! Its so amazing here and I dont know how i managed to live without surfing for this long!

On a side note- I watched the news today for the first time in 6 weeks. Our five dollar per night room has cable- but i just turned on the tv for the first time today, and we have been in our room for 9 days. Mom- thank you so much for never letting me watch tv as a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment