Monday, September 21, 2009

HOME SWEET HOME

Oh man im so happy to be back in BEAUTIFUL santa teresa. Bianca and I are sharing a room for 100 bucks per month and I recently purchased an old rusty bicycle from my good friend Mariano. I spray painted it black and aquamarine and have already found some amazing stickers for my bicicleta. Her name is Wipeout- because sometimes the chain falls off and I have to bail off my bike and hope for the best. So far, my wipeouts have been minimal.

Marilyn is our other roommate and she is amazing. She is a reggae DJ and the sister of a good friend of mine- so it all works out. Theres a lot of crime in Santa Teresa, but no one is going to mess with Marilyn because her brother is one of the crazy rastas that im sure ive described before. For a lack of better words, there is like this gang of rastas that are always getting into trouble and pretty much run the town of Santa Teresa. My friend Pilar described them once and i think she put it perfectly, ¨they are wonderful- amazing guys, but you have to remember that they are thieves¨. Personally, I love those guys- when they are being well behaved. I was robbed my first week in Santa Teresa- but im pretty sure i know exactly who did it and these days- when I leave alone at night he always offers to walk me home or tells me to ¨pasar con cuidado muneca¨. Its funny what a little bit of time does for you in any small town. It also helps that the boys know that i have no personal belongings of any worth to them. For the record- never bring a laptop to a foriegn country- everyone i know who has had one has lost it to thieves.

I played video games for like 6 hours yesterday- thats something i havent done in forever. The town is so amazing when its empty- kind of like Boulder in the summertime- when all of the college kids leave and the town resumes its form. Im back in my routine of running and yoga- but theres a HUGE swell in these days and every day someone breaks a board or a leash or has some catastrophe- so I stick to swimming or just surfing in the whitewater.

Im about to head off to Flor Blanca- another place that makes me feel so at home. The only person missing is my good friend Antonio- who i miss every day. Theres literally no one staying at Flor Blanca tonight so Im off to hit the gym with my buddy Will and then were thinking about having a pool party. ¿Porque No? Ive managed to master this balance between spending my time at the most exclusive hotel in Costa Rica and the rest with the scrappiest bunch i could possibly find- all located within a few kilometers of one another.

Oh and I found 7 sand dollars yesterday on the beach, but being the ECOFRIENDLY chica that I am, I obviously left them for nature. Today I ran for like 2 hours across at least 6 beaches and found even more. AMAZING. This time of year it should be monsoons all the time- but for some reason, its bright and sunny and beautiful every day.

Favorite music right now

This amazing reggae song ¨i dont wanna love you more¨- by some guy from San Jose, ill find out the specifics cuz its the best song ever.
Julieta Venegas
Los Perricos
Calle 13

No comments:

Post a Comment